Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Recipe of the week: Chicken Taco Bowls

It just so happens that my first 2 dishes posted are Mexican dishes. I promise that I don't eat Mexican food every night, but I do LOVE anything that is spicy. This recipe was SOO easy and convienent, especially with a baby that is fussy in the afternoon and evening. I am working to find things that I can make in the morning or the night before, and then just have to stick in the oven before we are ready to eat.

One of the best things about this meal is that it goes in the crockpot. Easy, fast, and cooks itself! I got this recipe off of a blog that I follow for Money Saving Mom. She actually takes this recipe and freezes it for later in the week. As I was cooking, it wasn't the prettiest meal I have ever made, but it tastes great! It was a little spicy for my liking, so I will probably modify that a little bit next time. But David LOVED it! He had 3 bowls.

Chicken Taco Bowls

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts
16 oz jar of salsa
1/2 lb frozen corn
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tbsp. cumin
1/2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. of salt and pepper
2 c dry rice
8 oz. shredded cheddar

Add everything except cheese and rice with 1/4 c water to slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hrs. Cook 2 cups of rice according to directions. After 8 hours stir crockpot mixture with fork to shred chicken. In serving bowls, layer rice, taco mix, and shredded cheese.


Food in the crockpot after I just shredded the chicken


The finished dish


No comments:

Post a Comment