Since October, Mollie has had consistent ear infections. The pediatrician would give us medication to take for 10 days. The week after the medicine was finished, we were always back in the doctor's office for another infection. This was so frustrating as a momma. I couldn't imagine putting my daughter on all of these antibiotics to have them just not work. We now have certain antibiotics that she can't take anymore, because her body is immune to them. All at 18 months old!! We went to the doctor this past week for a check up, and this was the first time we have not had an ear infection at the doctor's office. In December, we were sent to an ENT. We went to see Dr. Thomsen with Pediatric ENT of Atlanta. He was FABULOUS!! I loved his professionalism and knowledge. He said he wasn't there for the kids to like him. He was there to get an accurate check of her ears. I completely agreed with this statement.
When we walked in the office and were in the waiting room. My mom, Harriet, and Mollie were sitting at a table reading books. I was filling out all of the paperwork.
Then we were called back. She immediately cried when anyone walked in the room. (She now does this anytime we are at an appointment.) We had to have an extra nurse come in and help me hold her while the doctor checked her. It turned out that she had another ear infection. Not surprising, since we had finished medicine for the last ear infection 3 days before that. We were then taken into a room for her to do some audiological testing. It was really cool to see how they do this with children Mollie's age. The first couple things were they put something in her ear to make sure she could hear. Then they put us in a sound booth. In one corner was a duck (Mollie's favorite) and then a cat. The animals would make noise and Mollie had to find the animal making the sound. It was really cool! I had to hold her on my lap and make sure I didn't make any movement. I was really proud of her! After all that testing, they knew that she could hear. (I didn't ever think that was a concerned.) We will retest her, because one of the tests came back kind of low, but they think that is because she had an infection at the time.
We then were sent to the scheduler to schedule the surgery. As ready as I am, it is never fun to sign a consent form that says the things that "could happen". YIKES! I don't even want to think about it! The surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday at the CHOA outpatient facility. We are asking for prayers, but know that the surgery is what she needs!
We will update later this week with how she does.
Thank you for the prayers!
Christina
No comments:
Post a Comment